Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Dependence of Technology

GLUG GLUG GLUG Commonplace Blog Post #2.


At face value, this is a pretty obvious piece of advertising. The man is holding his iPhone and there is an alcoholic beverage inside. Yeah, sounds pretty odd. But I suppose that would be part of the draw of this app. One has to wonder the positive uses of something like this as well.
Of course, as any commonplace I've written for college has gone, it is going to need a bit more analysis than that. Why go this far for beer? What does this mean for the world at large? My stance is that this can really drive home the fact that the world is becoming more and more dependent on the newest technology.
I don't own an iPhone myself, but the issue I present here will be supported by my own experiences, so it isn't like I'm going to be talking about something that is unfamiliar. We as people have been living in what has been called the era of technology for quite some time now.
It's everywhere. Computers, new phones, new movies, new everything. Not a day goes by where people don't take out their phones or don't check their email. The very nature of people is to look at and find out more about what the newest technological trend is. But why? Is it driven by the peoples' desire to take change like this? I see it as more of a way to keep up with the current news and advancements more than changing things, and I'm sure many would agree. 
But my real point is that we are just becoming so interconnected with technology. As I stated before, we pretty much have to use it everyday to even get along in life. However, as this ad entails, how long will it be before we start using it for the most banal and boring things like this? A drinking app - really? Is real alcohol getting too expensive or something?
There are many simulations of life out there, especially for phones. It may come to pass that a calculator or a dictionary will become obsolete because of the new progress made in phone tech. There is a growing loss of need for paper, too. Sure, in school and for paperwork you might need it, but everything else can be taken care of from the safety of your desk and a keyboard. Then what would happen to all this "old tech"? It might be useful for the lower class who can't afford the newest thing, but there are still ways to help and costs will just get lower and lower for "cooler" technology than it will for the old things. I doubt there is work going into making a four-function calculator that can stand at the top of calculators anymore; there's not enough of a market there.
So how long until we start using computers for our everyday functions like drinking? What if we could do anything and everything we needed to from one central apparatus? The possibility may sound good, but in the long run it may lead to a future like the movie WALL-E, and I don't know about you, but personally, I'd like to avoid ending up like that as long as I can.

8 comments:

  1. Oh absolutely (ironic that are homework require technology). I had to buy a workbook (paperback) for a class and still had to log onto some strange site to even be able to answer any of the questions. But not does it only effect the way people interact with one another but our speech as well (i.e text talk). My aunt is an english teacher at highschool and told a story of a boy who said "idk what you talk 'bout." Really? C'mon...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it's pretty ironic, but that's life for you. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed! I have friends that stalk the internet all day just to find out what the next big thing is going to be on the market, so they can get their hands on it first. It is true that people want to stay updated, but I also feel people get new technology "just to have it". I know a lot of parents that have Iphones or Ipads and they haven't the slightest clue! So besides the people who are "techies", the other half of the group is just to blend in. :O

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, I don't hate technology, I just feel like it's eventually going to get too integrated into the world. Gotta think ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I deleted the last post because I didn't think it posted. The other one says more or less the same thing.

    Anyway. I'm not saying you hate technology. I'm saying your blog, for me, has a negative connotation about it. So I spun a positive connotation on technology.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ugh. I just left a long comment on this but my internet messed up.

    Pretty funny given the topic.

    Anyway, this is more or less to do with what I was saying.

    When I read your comment I get a negative connotation surrounding the idea of technology. And I have to side on the contrary. I embrace technology and it's convenience.

    Here's what I have to say. Time is money. Money here can be actual money of just pride in what you've accomplished or even the good you bring to the world, what ever the by-product of your priorities are. Time is this case is the time that technology frees up.

    Technology has made it to where you don't have to spend as much time(as before) on more miniscule activities that aren't important. For example I use my Iphone's Maps app to get to a new restaurant. Here I've replaced the time it takes to get out the Yellow pages and call a restaurant to get there directions.

    That doesn't seem like a lot of time. But that with other conveniences that technology brings really add up in your day so that you have more time to work on your priorities. For some that might be school, in my case it's music. And with the rate that technology is expanding (right now it will be (theoretically) five years until another break through in technology and 2 1/2 after that and so on.) our time freed up is also expanding.

    Now I'll speak to what you have posted: So this is the deal
    And this is always been the case.

    As far as productivity goes:
    What matters is what the individual does with the technology not what the technology does to the world.

    I'm sure in pre TV times people wasted time (not saying that watching tv is a waste of time, just in the sense that it keeps us away from out priorities) by running around outside.( I'm also not saying that one of hese is less or more useful than the other. they both have side effects, both positive and negative. Just simply that they take away time from priorities.)

    What I'm saying is that every age has things like the now metaphorical Iphone beer. But it doesn't speak to technology, it speaks to the individual.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love technology, but I understand when enough is enough. The way things are going, it won't be long until every activity can be done with some form of tech. What would happen if we became fully dependent on computers, only to have the system malfunction? It'd be chaos.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment!