Friday, May 13, 2011

Freshman Year at UNT

Well, the year's pretty much over. I'll still be here for a while, but that's all for cleaning and whatnot. I'm waiting till after I eat lunch for that, so now's a good as time as any to get this done.

So how was it? I can't say there was anything too bad or devastating, personally. It was definitely tough. But all worth it, in the end, and I'm really excited to come back next year.

There's been a fair few people I've met over the year. Some I expected, some who were a little unexpected. But I can say I've had at least one good moment with everyone new, even those who really get on my nerves. Such is the life of Mark.
Of course, there have been the major players in my life this year, and that would be:
Eric, RTVF major and my long-standing best friend for the past 5 years.
Billy, history major, the white guy nerd. Cause Eric and I are very good at making friends like that.
Christian, art major, the scatterbrain and nerdy girl, until...
Emily, English major and the newest member in our circle of friends.
Everyone else hasn't been quite as close as we have, but like I said, it's been pretty okay with everyone.
I could recount the year, but that seems kinda boring since everyone has been through it in slightly different ways. We've still spent pretty much all of it together so details aren't too necessary.

Classes were definitely tough. I managed last semester alright, but one B. Did not like that. However, this semester was even harder for whatever reason. I had more time between classes, but the work was just more taxing and definitely not the same. Didn't help that I was stressed about other things at times.
Still, I think I did okay. I hope so, anyway. But who wants to read about classes? Bo-ring.

It's definitely been an interesting year. I think I've learned a lot about myself and also about the kinds of things that make people who they are. There's also been a lot of old shows that I've started watching again, since high school didn't give a lot of time. That really helped. I haven't really been in a bad mood this year, just sad for a couple of days, but in the end, I am better for it.
A big mainstay were the new shows that started airing, such as Gokaiger and Friendship is Magic. We also watched through W again, and that was really good especially since it's one of my favorite shows.

I can pretty clearly remember a lot of early memories from the year, and it's really cool to see how everyone's changed. I don't know how much I have, but there's definitely a difference from last year. Being independent has only made that stronger. I just hope I've made a lasting impression on those important people in my life right now.
It's also nice that our group of five has had a pretty good dynamic from day one. Sure, there was definitely a huge change between semesters what with all the drama-rama, but it's still been a pretty tight group and the best part of all this. Speaking of drama, I was thankfully not personally involved with any. I tried to help others but managed to avoid hitting snags. A certain someone might have acted like there was drama with me, but there really wasn't. I'm a very firm believer in that problems don't come up if you don't make them. 
I guess you could argue I'm pretty mature compared to the rest of the group, but really, I'm just me - and that's enough, for now. I know I have plenty of room to grow these next few years. We'll see where that leads.

I haven't really been too surprised by any of the situations of the past year, either. I actually kinda expected things before they happened, so it was fun to see it all happen. I also feel like the past year has been a sort of test to see how I could handle certain things and being a certain way, and I'm happy with what I've gotten.
I don't know what I'm expecting from next year. There could be some major changes and there's always a big chance that we'll make more friends. However, I am comfortable with where we are now, so hopefully it stays at a good point from here on. With everything that's happened, I can definitely say there was no way I could have gotten through the year without you. All of you.
So yeah. That's pretty much the big points of what I've experienced in college, and it's been a learning experience with so much more. 

Thanks, guys.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!