Saturday, May 28, 2011

THOR - Movie Review

I'm definitely excited for The Avengers, though that didn't have too much of an impact in seeing this movie in particular. However, I'm glad I did and it worked how it needed to. It's not the best Marvel movie, but as a Thor movie, it's definitely not bad.


Plot
It's fairly standard for a first movie; Thor comes to Earth, he's new and doesn't really know what's going on around him. The stylistic liberties of the Thor universe help make it into something that works in the Marvel universe at large, so that's always good. However, there are no large surprises, since you know who's gonna be named to be king of Asgard, you know who's gonna be the final villain - heck, you even know who's on who's side before anything big happens. Even still, the film balances its big plot points and I think that's what helped it the most. Nothing special, but not horrible.

Characters
Many characters are established simply or not too much at all. In the roles they need to be in, they're all alright. Thor himself is very good, and you get a real sense of contrast with him and the people on Earth. Loki was a pretty standard villain, but he does get some good parts and you can tell there was some fun in there. The supporting cast works for...well, just that. No one is obnoxious though, so there aren't any bad characters or acting. There are also good comedic moments on Earth with Thor being...well, Thor.

Music
Works for the moments it's in, and the Asgard parts really come out well with the score. Given that there's so many points of back and forth between the worlds, it's still a pretty okay soundtrack.

Action
There was...what, three big fights? Not a lot for Asgardians who supposedly like war. I guess it's explained through Thor being gone, but that's kinda hooey. The fights we got were alright but it was hard to see what was going on sometimes. Not that great, though hopefully he gets better scenes in Avengers. I also wish they'd use the lightning powers more - this is Thor, after all! Eh, not too hurt about it.

Overall
It was good, and I'm glad I saw it. I'm a little more excited for Captain America and the new Spider-Man, but it was still fun for a modern Thor story. I've never been real big on Thor as I have with other comic characters, so I may not be as nitpicky as other people. I still liked it and since I've been on a Marvel binge lately with Marvel vs. Capcom 3 this was probably appropriate to see. I know this isn't as long as some of my other reviews, but that's just the restrictions of the movie, I guess. I don't really have anything else to say. If you guys wanna see an MvC3 review lemme know.
Score: 7/10

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!