Friday, August 5, 2011

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 - Movie Review

I'm so laaaaaaaaaaaate. I'd rather be reviewing Winnie the Pooh anyway, but this was a good movie. Very nice way to end what is the most popular series of this generation. We'll get to that in just a second...



Plot
Well, if you've read the book, you know what the plot is. I have, so I'll try not to have too much bias, but we'll see. It's pretty straightforward though. The idea is that Voldemort has gathered all his army and is trying to search for Harry by any means necessary. The only other part of the movie is the trio's search of the Horcruxes, pieces of Voldemort's soul that have to be destroyed in order for him to die. There's big battles and the heroes win, of course. There are a few costly deaths though, same as in the book. For the most part, the book is pretty well transitioned to the big screen. For a visual representation of the book, I was happy with it.


Characters
...What can I say? You should have seen Part 1 already, and every movie before this. There's no one new and nothing to flesh out given that this is the 8th movie in a series. I guess the kids weren't terrible? Dunno how I feel about the actors trying to be adults though, haha.


Music
The iconic music of the film series is in full effect here. The few times there were silent moments, it really helped the movie along a lot. The last song played is actually one of the first of the very first movie, a nice way to juxtapose the movies. I don't think I cried during it, but it was still pretty emotional and I understand all the fans who did feel something.


Action
Perhaps more important here than in any other Harry Potter movie. It seemed like the climax was a little rushed, but it wasn't bad. It didn't take up as much of the movie as I'd hoped, and there weren't too many scenes with minor characters, would have liked that. Neville had the best part, obviously. All in all not disappointing.


Overall
Like I said, a pretty great end to a pretty great series. Am I sad it's over? Well, yeah. But there's been a lot of great movies that I've wanted to see recently, so I'm glad this one is out of the way. Not my favorite Potter movie, but definitely up there and it's one of the best movies of the year. Go see it if you haven't.
Score: 9/10

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!